Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Training methods: spot, strength training and a mix of them


I have recently realised that I like a certain technique only a relatively short time. For instance, wall run. One day I was doing it I was really satisfied of the flow I had. Next training the feeling was not as great as last time. And after a week, I couldn’t remember that felling any way.

Human psyche is in fact very complicated. If we want to have something, we are really fond of it first. After we get that special something, it loses its value at once. In my opinion this kind of logic should keep us permanently motivated. So if we get something certain, we shouldn’t lose the aim in life. Sounds good, he?

However, I hint at the variety in the parkour training and in the life as a whole. Variety has become a very important factor in my training, in other words I try to avoid monotonous workouts. The body and mind want always something new to experience. That’s in order to keep motivated to train parkour regularly and a long period. 

So I decided to list here some training methods that I am aware of:
  1. Spot training
  2. Strength training
  3. A mix of first and second
  4. Balance training
  5. Imitation
  6. Playing tag
  7. Hell Night
  8. Cross fit
First three points are written below. The other ones I will publish with a topic "Training methods: _____" the next days.
  • Spot training
    • I train on some spots in the city which offer a pretty high number of opportunities to practice different techniques.
    • Pros:
      • That’s interesting, because I can choose the technique I want to train, then I go to that special spot, where I can train until dropping with exhaustion.
      • These spot provide some obstacles which allow me to train the technique seen on YouTube.
      • If the spot is big enough, there is an opportunity to play tag. (Later to this topic).
      • Last thing to mention, is the FUN-factor. You are not just jogging around, but you have real obstacles to overcome.
    • Cons:
      • I am not developing the stamina I would like to have. There are usually 3-4 good jumps, where I use the explosive power. But I don’t train my endurance, I have recognized.


  • Strength training
    • Strength training is very important for the balance of the muscles. I explain it on the following example. If you want to train your six pack, it is advisable to charge your back, too. Otherwise it will come to an imbalance of your front and back muscles. That isn’t healthy!
      I believe the repetition of the parkour techniques, is the best training of the muscles you need for parkour! Logically! If you train parkour you will become better in parkour.
    • Pros:
      • Nevertheless strength training helps to build up those muscles, which aren’t used whilst parkour. As a result, the balance of the muscles is alright and some injuries are prevented. Strength is an important part of parkour. Without it only the fewest techniques would work.
      • Furthermore the muscle building can be seen as the preparation for particular jumps. Again, in order to prevent injuries.
    • Cons:
      • Admittedly the repetitions are not always the greatest fun.
      • There is a danger of exaggerating the workouts. What follows is the hurt of knees.

  • A mix of strength and spot training
    • In short: I just run a circle in my area, where you can find some spots. While I am running, I stop every now and again and have some fun on a spot. When I am jogging from one place with obstacles to another, I stop sometimes on my way and do some exercises. Consequently, I never stop to make a break.
    • With that type I train now.
    • Pros:
      • I develop my stamina well. That's the biggest + of a non-stop training.
      • A quiet better feeling of parkour occurs. Just, you know, running from A to B, without breaks.
      • All advantages of first to types of training:
        • interesting
        • real obstacles to overcome
        • prevention of injuries through strength training (long-term effect)
    • Cons:
      • There is still a possibility of exaggeration with the strength training.
      • The injury risk is going up. As you are pretty tired, after some time. So be careful!

If have something to add to that scheme please comment and I'll write it down and mention your name of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment